The median weekly rent in Sydney seems to be around $450 (1, 2), up from $250 in 2006! It seems the rent near my office (Pyrmont) is even more than that for just a small unit, which is not too surprising as it's next to the city center.
There seems to be several websites that lists places to rent, such as:
- Domain -- likes its feature selection is easy to use, and can specify if the feature is important or nice to have;
- *Nestoria -- likes its Ajax UI that allows very intuitive and responsive selections;
- realestate.com.au -- claims to be the biggest address in property (not sure what that means); though I don't like its selection (such as bedrooms) is only single selection;
- property.com.au -- claims to be the largest list of properties; the site strangely has the same interface as realestate.com.au;
- homehound -- seems okay, but there's bug in UI (overlapping text);
- LJ Hooker -- available units for rent seems sparse near Pyrmont, and photo gallery for each unit also seems sparse;
- Real Estate First National Australia -- few units around Pyrmont, search interface hard to use;
- Just Rent Sydney -- even fewer units near Pyrmont.
*Updated on 4/21 -- thanks to Kat for pointing out the Nestoria (Australia) site.